Basic Handgun Defense Level 1
Defensive Handgun 1 is for individuals who have some beginner-level experience with a handgun but want to start on the right path for defensive preparedness.
The goal of the class is to get students shooting safely, consistently, and with a focus on good self-defense habits. All shooting drills in this course are completed from the ready position and drawing from a holster is not required, although you should have one to attend.
This course includes one hour or more of classroom and dry fire practice.
For those that have no or little experience with handguns, we recommend Intro to Handgun.
- Demonstrate the fundamentals of marksmanship and safety
- Demonstrate threat-focused/point shooting
- Demonstrate the basics of sighted fire
- Demonstrate reloads and malfunction clearance
- Eye and ear protection
- Pistol in proper working order (unloaded and stored in the case prior to arrival)
- 3 or more magazines/speed loaders
- Sturdy holster and belt
- 150 rounds of quality ammunition
- A t-shirt along with a loose-fitting shirt is recommended for this course. Please refrain from low cut or V-neck shirts, as hot brass can cause burns.
- Must be at least 18 years old unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. The student or parent/legal guardian signing the waiver must have a valid government-issued I.D.
- Must have successfully completed a Concealed Carry course or demonstrate good firearms safety/have a working knowledge of how to shoot a handgun.