Basic Handgun Defense Level 1
Defensive Handgun 1 is for individuals who have some beginner-level experience with a handgun but want to start on the right path for defensive preparedness.
The goal of the class is to get students shooting safely, consistently, and with a focus on good self-defense habits. All shooting drills in this course are completed from the ready position and drawing from a holster is not required, although you should have one to attend.
For those that have no or little experience with handguns, we recommend Intro to Handgun.
- Demonstrate the fundamentals of marksmanship and safety
- Demonstrate threat-focused/point shooting
- Demonstrate the basics of sighted fire
- Demonstrate reloads and malfunction clearance
- Eye and ear protection
- Pistol in proper working order (unloaded and stored in the case prior to arrival)
- 3 or more magazines/speed loaders
- Sturdy holster and belt
- 150 rounds of quality ammunition
- A t-shirt along with a loose-fitting shirt is recommended for this course. Please refrain from low cut or V-neck shirts, as hot brass can cause burns.
- Must be at least 18 years old unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. The student or parent/legal guardian signing the waiver must have a valid government-issued I.D.
- Must have successfully completed a Concealed Carry course or demonstrate good firearms safety/have a working knowledge of how to shoot a handgun.