Survival Skills by Tom Lutyens
This five-day course, taught by certified USAF Survival Instructors with a combined 100 plus years of teaching experience all over the globe, will cover a wide variety of survival and wilderness skills. This course is geared for any skill level from beginner to advanced so that everyone will walk away with new skills to add to their set. This class is not designed to be a ‘gut check’ type of class, but instead is designed as a low stress learning experience. There will be a large amount of information covered, so note taking and picture taking is encouraged.
- Land Navigation – including using a map and compass, route planning, and a 3-5-mile orienteering course off site
- Shelter Craft – USGI parachutes will be used to make group shelters, teepees, and individual hootches
- Foraging – gathering and preparing wild edibles, identifying natural resources to meet other survival needs
- Camp Building – hands on practice for building a comfortable, safe, and functional group camp
- Fire Craft – primitive, modern, and kit building
- Gear Lab – hands on lessons with new and old school equipment
- Improvising – techniques to make what you have meet your immediate needs
- Large Knife Use – techniques for using, maintaining, and safety.
- Sleeping Gear
- Quality pocket knife or Multitool
- Water container, metal is best
- Cooking pot
- Headlight and extra batteries
- Sheath knife
- Fire steel
- Fire starter
- Rain Gear
- Good boots, waterproof is best – make sure they are broken in
- Eye protection
- Heavy duty leather gloves
- Field pants (BDUs are recommended)
- 100 ft cordage
- PSK – Personal Survival Kit
- FAK – First Aid Kit
- Personnel meds and hygiene items
- Extra clothing
- Day pack
- Participants may tent/shelter camp on the property at no additional cost.
- Space in the “Bunkhouse” is available for an additional fee of $55.00/night. Contact Kurt Sorys for details and reservations. email@example.com
- Summit Lake State Park is about a mile away and has camper sites with hookups.
- Students must be 18 or older, unless accompanied by a parent (minimum age 15).
Students who cancel or re-schedule a minimum of 72 hours prior to the start of a class will receive a full refund or credit applied toward future classes. Students who cancel or re-schedule less than 72 hours in advance or “No-Shows” will result in forfeiture of 50% of payments and fees. 88 Tactical reserves the right to cancel any course offered due to weather or unforeseen circumstances. If this happens, all students will receive a full refund or credit applied to another class.